Excellent for stir-fried chicken, shrimp or tofu with vegetables
½ cup chicken stock or water
1 Tbl oyster sauce (optional, good with chicken)
2 tsp soy
1 Tbl sherry
½ tsp sugar (optional)
2 tsp sesame oil (optional)
Oil and Aromatics
2-4 Tbl oil with a high smoke point for stir-frying
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp ginger, minced (optional)
1 – 2 Tbl Chinese fermented black beans, coarsely chopped
1 pound velveted shrimp or chicken or firm tofu
4 cups maximum, cut into pieces easily handled with chopsticks
- Choice of asparagus, snow peas, bamboo shoots, oyster mushrooms, julienned sweet peppers, diced jicama
Cilantro leaves and minced scallion greens
Combine minced garlic, ginger and fermented Chinese black beans and set aside.
Combine oyster sauce, soy, sherry and the optional sugar and sesame oil and set aside.
Prepare your choice of vegetables and cilantro. Have stock handy.
- Heat the wok until a wisp of smoke appears.
- Swirl in the oil down the sides of the pan. Quickly stir-fry the aromatic garlic, black bean and optional ginger.
- Vigorously toss the vegetables in the hot pan and then add the velveted chicken, shrimp or tofu to heat through.
- Pour the stock down the sides of the wok to bloom the contents in the pan. Add the sauce combination and stir-fry until the dish is bubbly hot.
- Adjust the seasonings and add the optional cilantro and scallion. Serve immediately.